Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The expander is in!

I finally got my expansion device in today in preparation for my SARME next week on Monday and for the first time I have started feeling nervous!  The expander only took 15-20 minutes to be installed and glued into place, and after a quick check by the orthodontist I'm ready to go.

Learning to speak with the expander in is a lot of fun as I suddenly have a very prominent lisp.  Add to that the constant swallowing from the excess saliva and it all adds up to a rather attractive package!  I haven't tried to eat anything yet but have been warned to stay away from any sticky foods - so goodbye chewing gum, sweets and caramel :(

While I'm feeling nervous I am also excited as it means things are now moving along.  I can't wait for my SARME surgery next Monday and will keep this blog updated of my progress.

For now here are some photos showing the expander in my mouth as well as some side pictures which show the metal rings of the expander attached to my teeth.  Not very attractive camera angles but what can you do?

When my palette is split in half this device will widen my jaw

The metal rings surround two teeth on each side of the upper jaw and are glued into place

Another attractive shot







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please show me the love by leaving a comment, question or just a rambling thought. Please note that any abusive posts will be removed :)